Smart Speaker or Bluetooth Speaker? Which You Should Chose?
With the vast technological advancement our regular gadgets are becoming smarter every day. Take speakers for example, a decade earlier we used to be familiar with those bulky wired speakers. Then the bluetooth speaker was introduced and people went crazy about them. They were slim, stylish and portable. And a few years ago, we got to know about the next revolutionary sound system, Smart Speakers. These handy devices come with a built-in voice assistant like Siri, Google Assistant or Alexa. And they can do much more than just playing your favorite music. They can tell you about the weather, set alarms and reminders, tell you the news and control your smart home devices hands-free and whatnot. But despite all this the question still remains, which one would you buy and why? Let's find out.
What’s the difference between a Bluetooth speaker and a smart speaker?
Bluetooth speakers work nearly the same as any regular speakers but they have a bluetooth receiver inside so you just need to pair it with your smartphone, computer or any other portable music system. Once you have paired the phone with the Bluetooth speaker, whatever you play on the phone, will come through the speaker. No additional app is required. So basically it becomes a part of the music player itself.
On the other hand smart speakers can function independently. Internet-connected smart speakers, like the Amazon Echo, Google Nest Mini, or Apple HomePod, listen for voice commands and automatically retrieve whatever you want to listen to. They make it easy to pull up podcasts, radio stations, songs, playlists, and more without any help from your phone or computer. However it does require a smartphone for initial setup. It can also control other smart devices such as lights, smart plugs, thermostats, and door locks.
Features and Usability:
- Bluetooth speakers are portable. Only thing that requires is a primary audio source device which can be your smartphone, tablet or laptop. So it's a perfect companion while traveling, something that you can take with you on a trip or on a hike.
- Most bluetooth speakers usually have longer battery life so it will last long even after intensive use.
- Audio quality also comes into play a very important factor here. Due to the compact design smart speakers often can not produce that much dynamic sound as bluetooth speakers do with high quality sound drivers.
- Smart speakers require wifi connectivity so it is perfect for indoor uses. You want connected speakers in multiple rooms across the house It’s easy to group Alexa or Google Home speakers to work in sync.
- You can use voice commands to call someone, ask any information, or set an event on your calendar.
- If you are a home automation enthusiast Smart speakers can also control smart home devices, like dimmable smart bulbs or plugs, or even switch between TV channels.
Since Bluetooth Speakers and Smart Speakers are getting cheap, you can always buy them both. If you are a frequent traveller and want high quality audio, get something like the JBL Xtreme 2 Bluetooth speaker. It sounds great both indoors and out, or get an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home Mini when you’re using it at home. Both are fully functional smart speakers with great sound quality.